Progress Update

Information about the progress of the game creation and other stuff
Des

Progress Update

Post by Des »

It seems like the appropriate time to provide another update of how the progress is going so far with the new version of the CSK client that is being rebuilt in Unity3D to be cross-platform.

I have a lot of great ideas of things that I would like to add but adding them is each a challenge in its own, in the past, I've gotten so used to just creating most of what I need because the platform that I was developing on just did not have the functionality that I needed. This became a behavior pattern in that I simply stopped relying on or expecting there to be a simple and elegant solution and instead have to create my solution often from scratch. This is often not the best solution but it is great for learning purposes.

Developing within Unity3D I am realizing that I need to stop trying to make everything from scratch and use the built-in functionality that Unity has but to do that I have to learn it first to see how it can be implemented. So this brought me to the inevitable conclusion that I have a lot to learn and the more I learn about it the deeper I see this rabbit hole goes. This is not a bad thing by any means and is quite interesting to me because I find it fascinating how these solutions have been implemented to address simply to complex functionality. I find it very educational to see how others do something so that I can learn from it, I often do not follow how others develop but instead come up with my solutions that are based on others best practices but are more suited to my vision.

After doing some extensive research I decided that there is no need to build my multi-layered tilemap system and instead use Unity's built-in map with its rich functionality and if it doesn't quite do what I need it to do then at that point I will build that functionality. At this time I have an intermediate understanding of the tile system and there is still much more to learn. The image below is a proof of concept in the direction moving forward and how the tilemap will be used.

This image shows a rough quick map I put together to test out various functionality, it is important to note that this is not what the new version of CSK will look like, not even close. But that is a topic for the future at the appropriate time.

Another important feature I was able to implement with fair ease is the ability to take input from various sources. What I mean by that is this currently takes input from:

- touch screen such as mobile phone/tablet
- keyboard/mouse
- joystick connected to pc or mobile device via OTG USB cable

I am quite excited about what Unity3D has to offer and the direction that it will allow CSK to go. There are going to be a lot more interesting topics that will be coming up in the near future that I am looking forward to. Please keep in mind that we will all venture down this path together but it will take some time to get from where we are now to where I envision this project going.

As always if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I am also looking for more users to add to the beta testers who are testing these early beta versions. If you are interested in being a beta tester send me a pm on this forum.

Have a great weekend everyone and be safe :)